‘Round The Farm
At this rate, we won’t be able to see the baby cows 🍀
Don’t Miss Out!
Sign up below and receive coupon codes and more right to your inbox!
Bringing the Farm to You!
Do you love coupons? Happy farm animal photos? Farm shenanigans and some really bad puns? Sign up for this and more right to your inbox. Once every 1-2 weeks. No spam, we PROMISE!
What’s Happening and Longbottom Farm
Here’s what’s coming / planned!
Well, would you look at that? Spring has not only sprung, it has done a full cartwheel and backflip into our farm! The grass is greener, the sun is shining brighter, and our livestock are strutting around like they own the place – which technically, they kind of do. Here’s what’s happening here on the farm.
The Barn is almost done!
I feel like a broken record saying that, but almost there! Some electrical work is yet to be done, but otherwise we’re almost functional. This means in the next few weeks (watch your email), we’ll be offering order pick-up 7 days a week (8a – 8p). You’ll place your order, choose barn pick-up, and await a confirmation email that your order is ready (goal is to be within 48 hours). Then head to the barn, grab your order from designated freezers we’ll have set up, and that’s it. More to come in the next few weeks.
We have birds that will be ready ~ 2nd – 3rd week of June. Stock will be limited initially, but ramp up as we move to summer and fall. Thanks for your patience!
Layers are here! 200 to be precise. We’ve gotten our first couple pullet eggs which typically signals that production will begin. We messed up timing with selling our previous flock and getting our new flock here on the farm, so apologies for the delay. Good news is we should have eggs in the next couple weeks!
You may or may not know, be we offer Home Delivery every Friday to the Scottsville / Charlottesville / Palmyra area. Pasture to Porch! Just leave a cooler out, and we’ll place your order there (or we can meet you at the door). It’s based on zip code, so when checking out at Longbottomfarm.com, enter your address and you’ll see the delivery option if you’re in our area. There’s a $50 minimum order with $6 delivery fee, and delivery is FREE for orders over $99. Stay home and let us bring the farm to you!
Beef / Pork Shares
First off, apologies to everyone that has been waiting for these. We’ve had such a huge demand that way outpaced what we’re producing here on the farm. That said, we’ve been investing a lot into growing our cattle and pigs and over the coming months, you’ll begin to see more shares available. We have a couple Woodland Pork Shares available now (and you get to customize your pork share order!). Cattle take ~ 3 years from start to finish to produce good grass-fed beef, thus the delay, but we’re getting there. There are a couple Eighths and Quarters available now. Just know we’re on it!
Going forward, we’ve got many more things planned. It’s the old adage about not enough time in the day. Pasture walks / tours are on the list, as well as vintage campers on the James for a glamping / farm stay experience. There will be horse boarding, and of course the farm store. We’re up to our elbows in a ton of projects but one thing that remains constant is our commitment to providing you with the best farm-to-table products. We greatly appreciate your support, even if it means putting up with our pasture puns and barnyard banter. Here’s to a fruitful spring and sizzling summer, seasoned with laughter and marinated in gratitude!
Memorial Day Grilling?
We’ve Got You Covered!
As Memorial Day approaches, we find ourselves reflecting on the true meaning of this important holiday—a time to honor and remember the brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our nation. It is with a sense of profound gratitude that we write to you today, knowing that the freedoms we enjoy and the moments we cherish are made possible by their sacrifice.
At Longbottom Farm, we believe in celebrating life’s moments with the simplicity and authenticity that nature provides. This Memorial Day, we invite you to join us in paying tribute to our fallen heroes by gathering with your loved ones and indulging in the simple pleasures of farm-to-table grilling. It is a chance for us to come together, appreciate the bountiful gifts of the land, and remember that we get to enjoy the company of those we hold dear because of those who sacrificed to make it so.
Here a couple recipes if you’re planning to fire up the ole’ grill.
Bone-in Pork Chops (3 recipes):
- Marinate the chops in a blend of olive oil, garlic, fresh herbs (such as rosemary and thyme), and a splash of lemon juice. Grill over medium heat until cooked through, with a slight char on the outside and enjoy!
- Create a sweet and tangy glaze using a mixture of honey, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Brush the glaze on the pork chops during the last few minutes of grilling for a delicious caramelized finish. Viola!
- Season the chops with a smoky spice rub, featuring ingredients like paprika, cumin, chili powder, and brown sugar. Grill until beautifully charred and serve with a side of grilled vegetables. Bon Appetit!
Boneless Pork Chops (3 recipes):
- Make a zesty marinade using soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and a touch of sesame oil. Let the chops marinate for at least 30 minutes before grilling. Cook over medium-high heat until nicely browned and cooked through.
- Prepare a simple herb and lemon butter by combining melted butter, freshly chopped herbs (such as parsley and thyme), lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. Baste the pork chops with the butter while grilling to add extra flavor and moisture.
- Grill your boneless pork chops with a vibrant fruit salsa made from diced mango, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and a touch of honey. The fruity salsa complements the pork chops beautifully.
Boston Butt (Pulled Pork):
- Rub the Boston Butt generously with a mixture of brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Slow cook it over indirect heat on the grill until the meat is fall-apart tender and easily shredded.
- For added smokiness, use wood chips or chunks of your choice (such as hickory or applewood) while smoking the Boston Butt.
- Serve the pulled pork on soft buns with your favorite BBQ sauce, along with coleslaw and pickles for a classic pulled pork sandwich. It’s a crowd-pleasing option for larger gatherings.
Dry-Aged Ground Beef Burgers:
- Keep the seasoning simple and let the flavor of the dry-aged beef shine through. Form the ground beef into patties, season with salt and pepper (or one of my favorites is Montreal Steak Seasoning), and grill over medium-high heat until cooked to your desired level of doneness.
- Add a gourmet touch by topping the burgers with caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, and a slice of melted Swiss or blue cheese.
- Serve the burgers on a toasted brioche bun with your favorite condiments and fresh lettuce, tomato, and onion slices.
- NO PREP NEEDED!
- Choose from our infused Bratwurst including
- Just put them on the grill straight from the package, and viola!
Honor those who made this day possible, time with family and friends, and enjoy your grilling adventure this Memorial Day!
Want to pick some Longbottom Farm beef, pork, poultry, eggs, and coffee as well as other locally produced goodies. These are the places to do it.
Charlottesville City Market – (April – December) Every Saturday from 9 am – 1 pm. A great way to stock up on some local food and treats while enjoying some fresh air. Thanks to all those that have come out to support local farms and artisans in our area. Hope to see you there!
Curbside Pick-up – Order online and pick up on farm with our Curbside Pick-up. Place your order, choose your day, and pick-up anytime on that day between 11 am and 4 pm. That’s it!
Locally Delivery – If you are within 30 minutes of our farm (availability is determined by zip code at checkout), we offer home delivery to the Scottsville / Charlottesville areas. We deliver every Friday for orders over $50 ($6 delivery charge) and FREE DELIVERY for orders over $99. Simply Order online and we’ll take care of the rest!
It Tastes Right Because It’s Raised Right!
Hand Gathered, Farm Fresh Eggs
Experience the difference and give our free range, premium eggs a try!
Virginia Raised, 100% Grassfed, Black Angus Beef
Longbottom Farm Pastured Pork
Raised in a combination of pasture and woods, our Pastured Pork produces a flavor like no other. Experience the difference.